Wood County, Wisconsin

Official Website

Wood County Health Department Logo

Food Safety

Selling Home-Canned Foods

A new law called Wisconsin Act 101 allows you to sell some home-canned foods without a license under certain circumstances. This new exception to licensing requirements is explained below. It is important to remember that you are legally liable for what you sell, regardless of whether you are licensed. Please note that this is a narrow exception to the law, and you still need a commercial kitchen and a license to produce most foods for sale in Wisconsin.

If you have any question about what products you can sell or the conditions you need to meet, please call (608) 224-4682 or email food@wi.gov.

For more information visit the UW Extension website. On it you will find information on what food can be sold, registration requirements, signs and labels, training/recipes, checking pH, record keeping, sanitation, and downloadable fact sheets.

Food Safety Training Program

Food Manager Requirements

Wisconsin accepts the following food manager certification exams:

The following courses are currently approved for the Food Safety Training for Small Operators credential:

Small operators that have 5 or fewer food handlers that have a food manager that has already taken the full certification exam and is renewing within 6 months of expiration of their initial certified food manager credential may use the Food Safety for Small Operators (Recertification) course to meet the requirement.